- This event has passed.
*FULL* AST Level 1 Kelowna/Big White
February 9 @ 8:15 am - February 10 @ 5:00 pm$230
AST Level 1 courses include valuable information for anyone interested in exploring the outdoors in a winter mountainous environment. Whether you are a out of bounds or backcountry Skier/Snowboarder, you may encounter areas at risk of an avalanche. This course will help you evaluate the risks, and understand the factors involved in accessing avalanche danger so you can make decisions to keep you and your group safe. You don’t have to be deep in the backcountry to experience an avalanche, it could be just off the groomed trails or even a couple turns past the boundary to get that secret powder stash at a ski resort can land you in serious trouble.
This course, like backcountry recreation requires a suitable level of physical fitness. Participants should have the ability to endure a full day in the field sledding, snow shoeing, or skiing to a minimum of blue runs in multiple conditions.
The gear required for the course includes:
- Ski touring skis, bindings and skins or a split-board and skins
- Snowmobile in good working condition fully fuelled. (snowmobile course)
- Snow Shoes properly fitted to suitable footwear. (Snow Shoe course)
- Appropriate clothing for a full day outside in current weather conditions
- Packed lunch, snacks and 1 litres of water
- Digital avalanche transceiver (preferably triple antenna)*
- Avalanche probe*
- Avalanche shovel*
- Backpack suitable to hold all of your gear*(these items are available for rental if you do not have your own)
- All gear subject to field day location.
- Courses on ski hill will not need touring gear but if you own it, bring it for the fun of it.
*** Both the theory day and field day held at Big White Mountain.